About Me

My photo
Business, Free Enterprise and Constitutional Issues; Pro-Life and Pro Second Amendment. Susan Lynn is a member of the Tennessee General Assembly. She serves as Chairman of the Consumer and Human Resources subcommittee, a member of the Finance Ways and Means Committee and the Ethics Committee. She holds a BS in economics and a minor in history.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Does Susan Lynn Live in the 57h District? Yes!


I live in the 57th House District and I will live in the 57th House District when the new district boundaries take effect on the night of the General Election, November 2, 2012.


REDISTRICTING

Every ten years the US Congressional, State Senate, State House, County Commission, City Commission and School District boundaries are redrawn.  

It's constitutional - the premises is, one man one vote - each district is to contain the same number of residents so that representation is proportional.  Therefore, every ten years, after the results of the US census are finalized, all of the above districts are redistributed according to population.  

The 2010 census results were finalized in 2011, and the elected officials from each of the above offices got to re-draw their district lines according to population and perhaps other considerations as well

So this past Session the Tennessee General Assembly, House and Senate, voted on their newly conceived district boundaries which will take effect with the General Election in November at midnight. 


WHERE DOES SUSAN LYNN LIVE?

I live in the 57th district - I've lived here since moving to south Mount Juliet in 1997, and I lived there the entire time I served in the House from 2002-2010.  

The 57th District map:


However, while my residence hasn’t recently changed, the new 57th District that will take effect in November will run behind my property leaving my home on the other side in the 46th district.  

Therefore, upon winning the Primary Election, my husband and I will establish residence within the upcoming legal boundaries before the General Election.


THE UPCOMING DISTRICT BOUNDARIES - WHY WON'T LYNN'S HOUSE BE LOCATED THERE?

The House members in the State Legislature were allowed to draw their own district boundaries.  According to Speaker Harwell's Chief of Staff and the former Republican Caucus Chairman it was Linda Elam that chose to draw me out of the upcoming new district boundaries

I have to admit, I've been pretty amazed by accusations that I do not live in the district.  

For one, I do currently live in the 57th District.

The new district boundaries do not take effect until midnight on General Election night, November 2, 2012.  No one can speak to my family's plans.


Secondly, I have always trusted the voters; I believe they can sense when someone is being disingenuous.

The next district boundaries are as follows: 



Side by side it is easier to see the difference.



 The map below depicts my house in relation to the new district. 




This northern part of the county is still fairly rural.  Taking a closer look, you can see that the line jumps up from Coles Ferry Pike, a logical and natural boundary, and captures our neighborhood and then heads back down to and along Coles Ferry before heading north again and encapsulating the next subdivision before returning to Coles Ferry Pike and continuing. 


It isn’t difficult to see that my home was placed just outside of the next 57th District by encircling our neighborhood with the vacant subdivision land by departing from Coles Ferry Pike.

Again, the boundary zig zags from S. Cairo Bend, along Coles Ferry, then turns left on N Cairo Bend and then heads right onto Rural road.  It follows the creek right behind my property back to Coles Ferry before continuing on Coles Ferry.   
 

Someone asked if this wasn't just following a natural boundary - I suppose he meant the water - no, it is not. I live on Barton's Creek which is a tributary off of Old Hickory Lake.  The entire span of Old Hickory Lake and Barton's creek is in the 57th District - in fact, if I could afford to do so, I could live anywhere on the lake or creek in the entire county because all of the waterway is in the district - except for exactly where I live - it is the only part of the waterway not within the new district boundaries.  


WE HAVE MOVED BEFORE TO BETTER SERVE THE DISTRICT

In late 2005, my family and I moved from the Gladeville area (Poplar Ridge subdivision) to just east of SR 109 in order that I could better serve the district.  As you can see by the first map above, part of the district is in Sumner County and Lebanon - there is just no easy way to get from where we lived in Gladeville (by the purple dot) to Sumner County.  Our new proximity to SR 109 and I 40 made travel between Hendersonville, Gallatin, Lebanon and Mount Juliet much easier.

Since I was first elected ten years ago our family has grown-up, our children are married and having children of their own.  My husband and I were thinking of moving to a smaller home anyway.   

We both look forward to the future and to me serving the people of the 57th District once more.

And with all of that said, I humbly ask for your vote in the Primary Election on August 2nd and let me add that if anyone would like to buy a lovely family home on Barton’s Creek…just give me a call :-)

Most sincerely,

Susan Lynn

To learn more about my conservative record while in the legislature go to www.susanlynn.us/record.html

www.susanlynn.net/Mailers.html

3 comments:

Eric Holcombe said...

It's a shame that after all the years of gerrymandered districts by the Democrats that the Republicans immediately resort to the same tactics given the chance.

Richard Montgomery did something very similar attempting to prevent a run by Dale Carr, who also is moving (moved?) as a result.

Then there's freshman Sen. Kerry Roberts who was eaten by his own. I guess if you are going to live by the political party sword, you will die by it as well.

Curtis said...

I heard that you can't even vote for yourself because you don't live in the district. Is that true?

... said...

Dear Curtis, The district boundaries changed on General Election Day in November 2012. In the August 2012 Primary election, the voters vote for who will represent them in their new district boundaries - the boundaries in which they will live after the new lines become effective in November.

That is because it wouldn't be fair not to be able to vote for who will be representing you.

So, you are correct, as of the date of the Primary, not knowing whether I would win or not, my husband and I lived at our home in Lebanon which would be out of the district after the November election. Although at the August Primary our home was in the 57th district, because it wouldn't be after the November General Election I had to vote in the election for the new district boundaries - so I couldn't vote for myself.

However, upon winning the Primary Election, my husband and I immediately secured a rental unit in Mt. Juliet and moved there on October 1st. Well before the October 6th deadline to register to vote in the district.

Therefore, in the November General Election I did indeed vote for myself.