About Me

My photo
Business, Free Enterprise and Constitutional Issues; Pro-Life and Pro Second Amendment. Susan Lynn is a member of the Tennessee General Assembly. She serves as Chairman of the Consumer and Human Resources subcommittee, a member of the Finance Ways and Means Committee and the Ethics Committee. She holds a BS in economics and a minor in history.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Comment on media access to member complaint

What follows is a timeline for the recent events of this week and before.

Nearly two years ago, an incident occurred which was witnessed by a few. It has been well documented so I will not go into further detail except to say that I sought assistance from my leadership because I did not feel that I was being taken seriously in my request to be treated with professional courtesy.

At that time, a group of Nashville bloggers found out about the incident; they recounted the events on their blogs. The Nashville media observed the discourse and contacted me for comment. I declined to comment on the incident and so did my leadership.

After the election last week, I was contacted by a Nashville blogger that had knowledge of the incident two years earlier. He asked me if I would like to comment on his blog. I declined once more and immediately called my caucus leader to inform him that I was contacted by the blogger. We agreed to remain firm in our position not to comment on the incident.

On Sunday night the press started calling me. I refused to comment. Their phone calls persisted all day on Monday at which time I still refused to comment. In addition, they repeatedly contacted my leadership. In the early evening on Monday some media informed our press secretary that they intended to issue a public records request to our leadership for any information pertaining to the incident. When leadership arrived at the office on Tuesday morning members of the media were waiting with their requests for public information.

Until this time I was unaware that a file existed. However, in retrospect, it does make sense that the leader would document a serious incident even if only to safeguard his own actions. Although he has received much criticism, I can only imagine the critique if he had refused to hand over the file. Considering all that the leader has been through, I think that he has been very professional about everything.

I hope you will understand if I do not wish to comment any further on the incident. I believe that the information that has already been made public speaks for itself.

Thank you for the many kind words of support. I know that I have done nothing wrong. It is a difficult situation that one cannot ever win. That is why I sought to handle it privately.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either refuse to comment, or agree to talk. Pick one. What you sought is not pertinent to what you seek. Seems like you have some political growing up to do. Character flaws you are willing to tolerate in a colleague are not suddenly transformed into criminal acts after you realize you were duped.

Anonymous said...

You are a class act. I'm sorry your personal story is being handled so publicly.

Anonymous said...

I commend you for the way you're handling this nasty affair. Your blog is excellent, respectful and sticks to the facts. You stay out of the limelight and let the leadership and Brian Kelsey handle this mess. Frankly, I do hope this leads to Williams being stripped of the Speaker position. He stole it in the first place and he most certainly does not have the moral character to be a leader. If I were in his district I'd organize a recall!

Take good care.

Anonymous said...

"Seems like you have some political growing up to do."

I'm sure that really has an impact coming from "Anonymous". If you don't believe in what you are saying enough to put your name behind it, then don't speak. Pick one.

It seems to me Rep. Lynn is put in a hard spot by the GOP. I remember this story from 2007 and remember it being a non-story (not pursued by any mainstream media). I can see no charges were filed and therefore it was handled outside the court. As both of the parties are professing believers, this is the scriptural approach. I also see that the GOP acknowledged and tolerated these actions of Williams - or perhaps withheld "party discipline" for future leverage. Now that the GOP is resurrecting the issue via Rep. Kelsey's ethics complaint, the party certainly appears suspect. This "party discipline" should have happened in 2007.

Anonymous said...

Whatever becomes of this it's just one more step in the road to Tennessee state politics becoming the laughing stock of the country. We are on the road to Illinois... all we need is more public corruption. Stop the petty partisan bickering and come together for the good of the state. God knows we need it.

Chris F. said...

To the last Anonymous, last time I checked, Naifeh was the public symbol of corruption in Tennessee. So what exactly is your point?

Anonymous said...

Chris ... Uhhh, point is that the last few years of Tennessee state politics looks like nothing more that a bunch of good 'ole boys trying to do what's best for their image, their career advancement or their political party and not what's best for the state. Doesn't matter what party they "claim" to be a part of. Of course that's like national politics of the last few years so who can blame them. It would be nice to think that we could get people in office who are above that but that's just wishful thinking.

Deacon David Oatney said...

Susan;
You are to be commended for how you are handling all of this, but also, as I said on my blog today, for your always professional demeanor and your commitment to putting the people's business first.

Jim Boyd said...

Susan,

The General Assembly webmaster is in the process of updating the state site with current information. It may interest you to see the proposed 'Meet The Speaker' page.

http://www.cooljim.com/williams/

I had no idea you were so valuable.

Jim Boyd

Anonymous said...

I won't claim to know Susan well, but in the few meetings we have jointly attended, I can assure you all that she is nothing but a professional. It sounds like Mumpower didn't help this situation today, although in listening to what he said, I believe he was taken out of context, especially since he sounded drained, and the recording was poor. I wish he would issue a release saying he made a mistake, or was taken out of context.

Williams is a weasel. One look at his picture can tell you that. I keep expecting him to show up in a re-run of the Dukes of Hazzard as a state representative for Hazzard County.

I'm sorry that Susan is having to go through this. I haven't blogged about this subject, and I won't. But at least when I do comment, I don't hide behind "Anonymous".

Keep your chin up Susan. We all know what a weasel Kent is, and I'm sure that you'll have less than 21 months left to put up with him.

Anonymous said...

I know this has been a stressful time for you. You are a very strong lady. Stand tall, you did nothing wrong. When I read you had to go to the hospital I was so afraid it was because of the post I left you. I think he has been unhappy in his marriage for a very very long time. His wife stands by him. But she also knows how he is. When he drinks it gets worse. Stay away from him as much as you can. Never be alone with him. But I think and hope his days of making comments to you like he did are over,especially while he is Speaker of the House. He won't risk it again. I will pray for you and your family Susan. Although I don't live in your district or anywhere near you,keep up the good work you have been doing for the people who elected you. Please don't publish this.Take care.